.
South Batimore Logo
South Baltimore

Business Checks


Home Page
Area Hotels
So. Baltimore
Inner Harbor
Real Estate
Wine & Dine
Shopping Online


Sports Teams
Steamed Crabs


Enjoy the Harbor!

Baltimore TownHouse Line Drawing

 


South Baltimore
History of Francis Scott Key School #76

Brief History of Francis Scott Key Elementary/Middle School (076) Francis Scott Key School 76


In 1851, an unknown person laid the foundation of Francis Scott Key School. It is likely that this person used her living room to teach the children of Locust Point. The city school records do not mention how many children or what they were taught. But it is apparent that most of the children taught were girls. In 1866, this local school was named the Female Grammar School, #16. In that same year the school was incorporated into the Baltimore City public School System. Commissioners of Public Schools report that two classes were housed within one apartment. A divider separated the learning areas so that the two teachers could effectively instruct the children. The report stated, "A hard task is that which these teachers have assumed. To perform it well was worthy of their ambition." The commission highlighted the hard work of these dedicated teachers by the notation "no supplies assigned to the school."

The year 1869 provides additional statistics. The Female Grammar School, #16, consisted of 82 students and 2 teachers. The principal, Georgia A. Duvall, earned $900.00 per year. Sallie E. Moore, her assistant earned $648.00 annually. In 1870, the school still showed an enrollment of 81 students. The staff consisted of Ms. Duvall and two teachers. Mary Callendar became the new assistant to the principal. By 1876, the school had grown to 114 students. But, there were still only two teachers. Ms. Callendar had become the principal.

In 1877, the Board of School Commissioners rented a building for $150.00 to house the school that had outgrown its two rooms. In 1881, the City Council gave permission to lease a lot for a new school house in Locust Point. The original site was on the corner of Hull and Clement Streets. Construction of a new building cost $10,000.00 Students moved into the building in 1882. The school was co-educational and became the first "Francis Scott Key School."


School Song

Key forever, Key forever,
Sing it loud and strong,
Here we find both love and learning
All the way along

Key forever, Key forever,
We will shout her name
Her loyal sons and daughters
Bring her fame

 Rah, Rah, Rah!!!



May 21, 2019

Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs

Like South Baltimore on Facebook


South Baltimore - About Us - Privacy Policy - © 1999-2019